What is a CSA?
A Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Farm is a form of financing and sharing risk for small local farms.
Financing: You and your fellow community members each pay in advance in essence creating many micro loans with no interest that help finance the farms expensive start of season needs. A farmers income has two severe highs and lows. In mid summer and early fall a farmer makes the bulk of their money and spends the least amount but puts in the most hours to keep the farm operational. In the winter and early spring the farm isn’t earning any money and is supported by a dwindling savings that was generated earlier in the season.
Many small farms take out loans from banks to finance the cost of each new year’s efforts of buying seed, repairing machinery, etc. and hope to repay the bank by the end of each calendar year. By buying into a CSA share you not only make the farm more achievable and financially viable for the farmer you also help create a more realistic liveable wage for the farmer and lower produce costs for you and your community.
Risk: What’s this about sharing risk? Each year is unique and new. A farmer can make their best predictions and know from years of farming the same land what does well and where in the micro-climates of their acreage. But long heatwaves, early or late frosts, heavy rainfall can happen and take a crop or two with it. By buying a share and supporting a CSA you agree to help take on some of the risk of crop loss. But you’ve also helped the farmer plan very far in advance so that they can plant a variety of food options in case one fails another can fulfill the void. This allows the farmer to take on risk in stride and still ‘repay’ your investment in full by providing a plentiful and valuable CSA share.
- One Full share is $500 or One Half Share is $300 due immediately
- Weekly share pickup for 20 weeks June 1st – October 13th.
- Included: 8-12 (Full) or 4-6 (Half) varieties of produce to vary weekly
- Shares are picked up every Friday at the Farm 1-6pm or Saturday at farmer’s house between 3-6pm.
- CSA Members will be invited to Farm tour days, volunteer opportunities, community potlucks and other events.
- Currently half or work shares are not offered.
- Your shares will have an average retail value of $25 (Full) or $15 (Half) a week.
- A member may cancel their Full Share upon written notice to 50Fifty Farm 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the Memberʼs term, June 1st.
- Member will be assessed a $20 cancellation fee to cover administrative costs.
- Shares are packed in 10 Gal. Rubbermaid tubs. The Farm name and your share number are painted on them. Please return your box as you pick up the current weeks share so that we can reuse them.
- Alternatively bring a reusable tote.
- You are responsible to pick up your share. If you do not pick up your share and make no arrangements to have someone else pick it up for you then you forfeit your share that week and it will be donated to local charities. There is no refund for unclaimed shares.
- Communication is big for 50Fifty Farm. We want to make sure your produce is the best it can be, that you feel you are part of a safe and welcoming community and that your food is being enjoyed.
Communication is big for 50Fifty Farm. We want to make sure your produce is the best it can be, that you feel you are part of a safe and welcoming community and that your food is being enjoyed. You can always reach us via our e-mail at email@example.com